Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Love Never Tires



O Love, aren't you tired yet?

-Leonard Cohen, The Faith from
the album Dear Heather


Give all your soul to God

Arrive naked
every morning
every breath

Give all to others - always.
Love.
Love.
Love.



Drawing (left handed) - 2.5 x 3.5 inches - the next in my No.2 Pencil series from this past weekend.
The image I found in my sketch book; from this past summer when my friend, Gary, was dying. In the presence of such Grace, love never tires!
The words are from a journal I kept at the same time. It was written from my left hand as well.

6 comments:

  1. Found you over at Jenn's blog. Love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Susan! Thank you! And thank you for stopping by. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jenny stevning - a beautiful drawing and a beautiful piece of writing! here's a piece from rumi via coleman barks that reminds me of something so very simple, so very complicated, so real that it meets me every morning: steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. and here 'tis!


    this being human is a guest house.
    every morning a new arrival.

    a joy, a depression, a meanness,
    some momentary awareness comes
    as an unexpected visitor.

    welcome and entertain them all!
    even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
    who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture,
    still treat each guest honorably.
    he may be clearing you out
    for some new delight.

    the dark thought, the shame, the malice,
    meet them at the door laughing,
    and invite them in.

    be grateful for whoever comes,
    because each has been sent
    as a guide from beyond.

    rumi (trans. coleman barks)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh...Steven, thank you!!!! I know that poem, but sadly, I had forgotten it. It is a powerful one! I needed to be reminded of it!!! Yesterday, when I was a grump, I should have met it laughing. Oh, I will have to remember for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. legs, feet, sweet!
    yo mama

    ReplyDelete