Monday, December 28, 2009

No.2 Pencils and Love



















I am
sitting here in the middle of your chest.


I will
Love again no matter what you may think.


I wish
you could See.


I won't
burst or break.


I want
to Love fully...completely...you...me...All.


I fear
nothing, for I am Love.



Drawing - 2.5 x 3.5 inches. Illustration board was painted, then coated with white gesso. The drawing it done left handed, including the coloring of the hair. Right handed, I wrote the words "come let me love you..." (John Denver lyrics).
This technique came out of realizing how much I love classic No.2 pencils. I used one for the line work. Short. Long. Dull. Sharp. Brand new. Slightly gnawed. Oh, I forgot how much I love yellow No.2 pencils!
The words were inspired by writing exercise taken from The Art of Personal Imagery by Corey Moortgat.

4 comments:

  1. jenny this is a lovely love-filled drawing! from your rekindled love of yellow no. 2 pencils through to the love of all mirrored in the love inside you. have a peaceful day. steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pencils, too. Have you ever tried Laddie pencils? They're fatter than regular pencils, with thicker leads, and made by Ticonderoga, I think. Verrry rich #2 leads. We have 'em in kindergarten, and they're just great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Steven. The irony - such a love filled post (and I meant it) but guess who ended up being the biggest grump today? Oops.

    Dan, I think the pencils you mentioned are the kind my daughter learned to write with. They do have wonderfully rich leads! This makes me think of when I was in grade school. We looked for any reason to get up and sharpen our pencils. It was cool to have a really sharp one. Oh, and in the palm of my hand I can still see the lead tattoo I gave myself when I accidentally poked myself with a very sharp No.2 pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'I won't burst or break'

    wonderful....

    or to use one of my favorite terms adopted from my friends in the U.K. "Lovely"

    ReplyDelete